Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Basic - Half Way Through!

So I am half way through with Basic. I am happy but at the same time kind of sad, happy because I am enjoying it so much. I don't think I have been so happy at school ever. And sad at the same time because time has gone by so fast, that in one more month it will be over.
For our 10th lesson we got biscuit and meringue petits fours (small cakes or cookies). Everyone was excited about this demo, since we would finally learn how to do the famous macarons. The chef worked through four recipes: Palets aux raisins (Raisin biscuits or cookies), Cigarettes, Macarons, and Batons de marechaux (Marshals' Batons).

Palets aux Raisins (and without raisins too):

    
This are good, but kind of plain, not so much to it other than just cookies.

Cigarettes:

    

The Cigarettes, are very tricky to make since you have the hot discs out of the oven , and you have to roll them while piping hot, other wise they will harden and crack before you shape them. These are very good, and very crispy. Mainly used to garnish ice creams.

Macarons (with chocolate ganache filling):


   

The macarons are not difficult to make, but you have to be very careful in following steps exactly as required to be able to achieve that smooth top. The macarons where very good, they were crunchy in the inside, and nice and moist in the inside, and the chocolate ganache was very good too, since it wasn't so sweet.

Batons de Marechaux (Almond meringue sticks):

     

And of course "la degustation" cannot be forgotten:


We had the practical 3 days after the demo, so I was beginning to feel that I might forget something since so many days have passed, but luckily I felt better just as I went over my notes. Like I mention these are not real difficult or time consuming recipes.
The real defining thing here was the piping of the items, since that will be what makes a difference between a good and bad result.

     

Mine came out pretty descent, with minor presentation details, but over all good!

     

So after completing already half of Basic Pastry, I am more motivated than ever, and so happy to be doing this. It is the best thing I have ever done, and is a thousand times better than I though it was going to be. Lets keep it up for the second half!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips