Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Les Tuilleries (part of it)

Les Tuilleries, is located in the 1st Arrondisement of Paris. This is area is called like this, since it is where the Jardin du Tuilleries is, as well as the Musee du Lovre. This area is also known for its plazas, formal gardens, former royal buildings, world famous restaurants, and fashion name boutiques, as they all come together in this area.
.
Because Saturday I had a meeting in the morning until afternoon I did start my walk a bit late, so I only covered part of this area, which I will finish up sometime later.

I started this walk at the St. Roch Church designed by the same architect who design the Louvre. This church is characterized by being one of the longest in Paris. As you go in it, it  looks more like the had build the church, and then they just added 2 more altars one behind the other, making it long yes, but also weird in a way that they are also separated into three smaller chapels inside.

What you can see here, will be the original first sanctuary of the church.


     

Detailing of the ceiling right on top of the first "chapel".


Second "chapel" right behind the first one, and the very white part at the center on the pic, will be the third part, but it was closed to go.

     



Then I went to Rue de Richelieu, where we can find the Fontaine Moliere, the reason this fountain was built here, was that he had lived in this street.

     



I then went towards the Palais Royal and the Jardin du Palais Royal. I passed right by the Comedie Francaise which is the National Theatre of France.

As I was about to go into the Palais Royal, I found a gruop of musicians, playing on the street giving a free concert, to say it in a way. 


It was so nice, people just sitting there enjoying their Saturday afternoon.

Once inside I went first to the Jardin du Palais Royal which is only a remaining part of the original one. The garden is surrounded on three of its sides by buildings full of restaurants, and fashion boutiques all around.

     


Nice Saturday afternoon at the Jardin du Palais Royal
One of the restaurants in the building surrounding the garden is The Grand Vefour, which is one of the prettiest restaurants in Paris, in which people like Napoleon, and Victor Hugo ate here.


As you can see is definitively not a cheap restaurant charging 96 euros for lunch!!!

Now, as you come closer t the Palais Royal which is closed to the public, you will find its patio, with its known stripped columns.

    

And that's all for this part, I will write about the rest of this area when I have a chance to go.


.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips